HISTORY OF HAYES & STOLZ


Hayes & Stolz, founded in 1945 by Mr. Vernon Hayes and Mr. Tommy Stolz, began as a small fabrication shop located on Jennings Street between Biddison and Ripy Streets in Fort Worth, Texas. Employing only a handful of people and with a shop of only 6,000 square feet, the business served as a metal fabricator to the poultry and livestock feed manufacturing industry.

In the 1950's the company began to focus on the manufacture of a line of equipment for mixing and material handling of feed ingredients with Mr. Hayes concentrating on sales and product development while Mr. Stolz developed manufacturing technology. They quickly achieved worldwide recognition as a leader in the industry for their innovative products. The plant was expanded and new employees were hired.

In the 1970's Mr. Hayes purchased from Mr. Stolz his interest in the company and he continued to grow the business, pioneering many new equipment designs and improvements that advanced the feed manufacturing industry. The facility was expanded several more times and additional employees were hired. Eventually the company grew to over 52,000 square feet of manufacturing, warehouse and office space with over 70 employees.

In the 1990's Mr. Hayes sold the business to his son-in-law and daughter, Dale and Virginia Presnell. The Presnells continued the rich tradition of manufacturing innovative, quality equipment and were successful in expanding the company's international sales and developing new markets outside the feed manufacturing industry. The company also incorporated many new manufacturing technologies: Computer Aided Drafting & Design (CADD); business management software and programs; computer controlled equipment for manufacturing; laser and water jet cutting; etc. An additional 7,000 square feet of warehouse was added and the number of employees grew to around 100.

In 2007 the Presnells retired and the business was acquired by the company’s VP / Engineering & Manufacturing, B. J. Masters, and a close friend, James Byford. In 2012 Mr. Byford lost a hard-fought battle to cancer and Mr. Masters purchased his interest in the company. With the objective that Hayes & Stolz maintain and enhance its position as the premier provider of solutions and equipment, Mr. Masters is dedicated to continue the traditions of growth and excellence. Since 2007, the company has experienced an explosion of new business and opportunities for growth, demanding further facility expansions / upgrades and the addition of new employees.